Saturday, March 27, 2010

Helen Keller's TEACHER

Helen Keller's TEACHER
Written By: Margaret Davidson
Scholastic Inc.
March 1992
Ages: 9-12
Pages: 153

Summary
I have always been fascinated by the miraculous story of Helen Keller and this book is one that helped to satiate my curiosity because to truly understand Helen Keller and her situation, you must learn about her amazingly talented teacher, Annie Sullivan. Annie Sullivan gained her passion, courage and determination from the extremely difficult childhood and adulthood she went through. At a young age, her parents died and she and her little brother and baby sister were separted. Due to a tuburcular hip, her brother later died and Annie never saw her baby sister again. After the unfortuante death of her brother, Annie had the wonderful oppportunity to be sent to the Perkins Institute for the Blind and it is there that she learned all of her important and valuable skills that would help her to teach little Helen Keller in later life. After we learn of Annie's life, the story shifts to meeting Helen and of the exciting thigns that happened there after Annie started to teach her.
Who would benefit from reading this book?
The stories of Annie Sullivan and Helen Keller would be beneficial if read to any child. The story tells that anything is possible, even in the most gloomy and most dire of circumstances; all it requires is determination and the belief that you are capable of anything.
What problems do you see arising from reading this book?
I do not see any problems arising from reading this book.
What was your reaction?
As a young child I was a voracious reader and I would read anything I could get my chubby little hands on. I went through yet another reading phrase where I read anything and everything to do with Annie Sullivan and Helen Keller. I admired the determination seen, written and talked about in both women and it made me feel like I could do anything I set my mind to.

No comments:

Post a Comment