Saturday, January 23, 2010

Alexander, Who's Not (Do you hear me? I mean it!) Going to Move.

Alexander, Who's Not (Do you hear me? I mean it!) Going to Move.
By: Judith Viorst, Illustrated By: Robin Preiss Glasser in the style of Ray Cruz.
Scholastic Inc.
August 1998
Ages: 5-8 years.
Approx. 15-20 pages.

Summary
This book is about a young boy named Alexander who is staunchly refusing to move away with his family. This fun book goes through different situations with Alexander as he dreams up scenarios that will keep him from moving away such as moving in with the neighbors or hiding in the pickle barrel at the local farmer's market.
Who Would Benefit from reading this book?
I think this book is a good book to read to any young child who has or is going to go through a move. A move can be a scary and unknown quantity for a young child and this book will help them explore just about every reaction and avenue of going through a move.
What problems do you see this book causing?
The only problem I see this book potentially causing is that children might think it's okay to defy or talk-back to their parents. Alexander has sort of a bad attitude that parents might not want their children exposed to.
My Reaction
I most definitely loved this book. I personally identify with it as I had the same exact attitude of Alexander when my parents made me move from my home of the United Kingdom to the tiny, barely existing town of Rigby, Idaho. This book I think will help children eventually work towards accepting the terms of a move.

No comments:

Post a Comment